ENABLING SOCIAL SHARING BUTTONS ON YOUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE & POSTS
Almost all the news sites, tech blogs, blogs and other such sites have social sharing inside their posts. This is so that a visitor can easily share that post with his friends or on social media. This is useful for any blog or website.
Additionally websites also show their Social Media Profiles so that people can easily locate their Twitter Profile, Instagram Profile, Facebook Page etc.
Now-a-days almost all themes have the option to show social media profiles (in form of icons) in the header or footer of their theme. Additionally these can be shown in Primary Sidebar and elsewhere depending from theme to theme.
In this post we will be looking at ‘HOW TO ADD SOCIAL MEDIA SHARING ICONS TO THE POST / PAGES of OUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE’.
There are many plugins to do so. However in some plugins some icons / options like Whatsapp Sharing is a paid feature.
We will be using a plugin that is completely free.
Developer by the name of ‘Team Heateor’ has two plugins-
1- WordPress Social Share, Social Login and Social Comments Plugin – SUPER SOCIALIZER
2- WordPress Social Sharing Plugin – SASSY SOCIAL SHARE
Here we will be looking at SASSY SOCIAL SHARE.
Go to PLUGINS – ADD NEW – Search for SASSY SOCIAL SHARE – INSTALL and ACTIVATE the plugin.
Now go to plugins page and click on ‘SETTINGS’ below Sassy Social Share.
* You will be at- THEME SELECTION – STANDARD INTERFACE THEME.
You can select the shape, size, hover colour etc of the social icons. See what suits you.
* You will be at- FLOATING INTERFACE THEME
Floating icons are icons that are generally on the left or right side of the homepage, post etc. On mobile and small devices they make a permanent social sharing bar on the bottom of the page.
Change settings according to your choice.
Next scroll up and go to ‘STANDARD INTERFACE’
* Here you can add which social icons to show. You can also re-arrange them according to your choice.
* You can select what title to use like ’Spread the love’ or ’Share this’ or just leave blank if you want only icons and no text.
* Under horizontal alignment, select CENTRE. Icons in centre look good. (Your choice!)
* Select position. (Generally bottom is suitable. Any person is going to share only after he/she has read the post.) (You may select top and bottom or both if you want.)
* Placement – Select on Posts and pages. (Do not show on homepage. It would look horrible.)
See other options and understand what they mean. Change accordingly.
Click Save Changes.
– Now open your website / a post or page in new tab on computer and also on mobile phone.
(Clear cache if you are using cache plugins.)
You will see social sharing icons inside post and pages.
** You will also see vertical social icons on right or left side of the browser. On mobile they will be like a horizontal bar at the bottom. (You can disable this by going to FLOATING INTERFACE – UNCHECK ENABLE FLOATING SHARING INTERFACE.)
** If you have selected too many social icons to show on posts, they might form a second line when viewing on mobile. It will not look good. To fix this, either decrease the size of the icons or remove unnecessary icons. Try to keep the icons in one row (one line).
Extra Read- Some people show only standard interface. Some show only Floating Interface. If you show both, there are two icons for sharing- one inside post and other on the screen. Understand and choose accordingly.